Stefanus
11th April 2010, 01:41
Heavenly Angels
The Ninth Choir

The Third Hierarchy - those closest to humanity

Principalities - the seventh choir
The Archangels - the 8th choir
Angels - the ninth choir

http://www.wendag.com/images/angelology/angelinred.jpgHeavenly Angels are in the third hierarchy, the ninth choir. They are the lowest in the celestial hierarchy but their function is to stay close and watch over us. This brings us to the age old question – do they exist?

From Gustav Davidson’s A Dictionary of Angelsin the realm of the unknowable and invisible, in matters where a questioner is finally reduced to taking things on faith, one can be sure of nothing, prove nothing, and convince nobody.

Simply put, only by faith. We cannot definitively prove their existence nor can anyone disprove them. Can you see air, give me a break, I am not talking about smog! Can you see the dimensions of a nuclear field? Can you touch love? If you can believe in these invisible things then why in the world wouldn’t you believe in heavenly angels?
Zoroaster, the 6th century BCE Persian prophet, established a religion called Zoroastrianism. It is the oldest existing revealed religion and is still practiced in Iran and western India. Zoroastrianism had substantial influence on angelology in Judaism. Christianity later adopted its belief from the Hebrew tradition and both the Hebrew and Christian belief had an influence on the angelology of Islam.

All the religions Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, the Baha I Faith, and Judaism have all recognized God and his messengers since before written language. Granted they have a few significant differences but the belief in God and His messengers is not one of them.

All nations and cultures show at least some belief in spiritual beings. Even the ancient Egyptians made their tombs more exotic and lavish than their homes in preparation for a visit from at least one of these heavenly angels.

Have you ever been lucky enough to see or meet one of these superior beings? Probably not as there are few documented appearances. Does this make them less real?

In Colossians 1:16, For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him.

If you recall in the other choirs we have discussed, this verse refers directly to the 3rd, 4th, 6th and 7th choirs. In Hebrew they are called “spirits”.

Some of the ancient prophets that actually had visions and visitations from these heavenly angels:

http://www.wendag.com/images/angelology/blueangel.jpgWere Daniel, Ezekiel, Lot, Jacob, Enoch and Muhammad just to name a few who had the previledge. These heavenly angels can manifest themselves upon God's command at anytime. They can appear as humans such as in Genesis 18, Judges 13:6, or as a flame of fire as in the burning bush in Exodus 3:2. Hebrews 1:7 says Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.

Where does all this knowledge about angels come from?

They are mentioned about 300 times in the Old and New Testament but are rarely given names. Most of the information comes from non-canonical books such as The Book of Jubilees, The Book of Enoch, The Book of Adam and Eve; the ones that were left out of the canons of the Jewish and Christian Bibles. The ancients decided that some might lead to the worship of angels instead of God. So at their discretion, they decided not to include them in our Bibles.

How many heavenly angels are there?

That is a good question. There is quite a debate about that and I am not positive. However, this quote from Thomas Heywood’s Hierarchy "Of the Angels, might help.

the exact number who/Shall undertake to tell, he shall grow/From Ignorance to Error; yet we may/Conjecture.

About the Middle Ages around the 14th century cabalists (Christian scholars and translators of Hebrew) made the count at 301,655,722. They did this by translating numbers into words and words into numbers. Personally, I will accept this number but if you want to go ahead, give it a try! No matter how many there are, it is from this choir that we are assigned our guardians.

The prophet Daniel had a vision described in Daniel 7:10 A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened.

The prophet Enoch visited Heaven and saw “innumerable, thousands of thousands, and myriads and myriads”.

The Zohar says there are six hundred million and that all the heavenly angels were created on the second day.

Albert the Great, a teacher of St. Thomas Aquinas, wrote that each of the nine choirs of angels had 66,666 legions and that each legion had 6,666. Have you finished multiplying that? It is four billion!!

I hope the number is four billion as it seems that angels do not procreate and demons do.

What language do these beings speak?

http://www.wendag.com/images/angelology/temptation.jpgI hope English is one of them! But alas, the general consensus is Hebrew. The Book of Jubilees and the Targum Yerushalmi says that God used Hebrew at Creation and in the Garden of Eden. In the Midrash Lekah Genesis 31:1 even the serpent spoke Hebrew.
The Apocalypse of Paul puts it pretty clearly “Hebrew, the speech of God and the angels.”

Of course, we can believe that after God got ticked off during the building of the Tower of Babel and made everyone talk different languages that He also gave our guardians the ability to speak all languages since they have to look after us. Don’t you think?

Are demons angels too?

Whatever their state, holy or unholy they are unto God. God also created evil and uses it for his own divine reasons that will never make any since to us. Look at Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

According to various Church doctrines these heavenly angels were created with free will but they had to make an instant decision between turning toward God and becoming eternally good or turning away from God and becoming eternally evil. Those who turned away are just not the celestial beings we want to think about. They became the demons or the fallen angels.

Man was also created with free will but unlike the angels, we have our whole lives to make the right decisions. God did give us a hand up by providing our guardians to help us out, but yes, they were angels before the fall.

We know there are a multitude of God’s heavenly host. They are not only our guardians but they rule everything that involves mankind and that reflects on our daily lives from the days of the week, the months of the year, the planets and each sign of the zodiac has a specific angel to watch over them.

In Genesis rabba, 10 - “there is not a stalk on earth that has not its guardian in heaven.”