PDA

View Full Version : Are Science and Christianity Compatible?

Silencio
23rd October 2010, 20:36
Atheist Richard Dawkins from Oxford and leading geneticist Francis Collins debated the subject of God versus Science in a Time magazine feature article.1 At issue was whether belief in Science and God are compatible.

Dawkins, author of The God Delusion, argues that belief in God has been made irrelevant by new scientific discoveries. Collins, a Christian who led 2400 scientists in mapping the human genetic blueprint, sees it differently, stating that belief in both God and science is totally reasonable.

Although the Bible clearly states that God created the universe, it reveals nothing about how He did it. Yet its message that God is rational and personal profoundly influenced scientists such as Copernicus, Galileo, Newton, Pascal and Faraday. Their belief that the world was created by a reasonable God gave them confidence in scientific observation and experimentation.

As Christians, these scientists believed in an all powerful, all knowing Creator who, although not limited by natural laws, chose to use them in the universe. These brilliant men and women were fascinated with the world around us, and sought to discover the mysteries behind what they deemed as God’s creation.

Jesus and Creation

The eyewitnesses to Jesus tell us that he continually demonstrated creative power over nature’s laws. The New Testament tells us that before Jesus became a man, he eternally existed with his Father in heaven. In fact, the author of Hebrews as well as the apostles John and Paul write of Jesus as Creator. Paul tells the Colossians:
"Now Christ is the visible expression of the invisible God. He existed before creation began, for it was through him that everything was made, whether spiritual or material, seen or unseen….In fact, every single thing was created through and for him….Life from nothing began through him, and life from the dead began through him, and he is therefore justly called the Lord of all.” Colossians 1:15-17 J.B. Phillips
When Paul said that “life from nothing began through him [Jesus],” he was making a statement that had no scientific backing at the time. In fact, scientists were of the opinion that matter had always existed in one form or another.
Materialists reasoned that if matter has always existed, then there never had been a creation. This led atheist Carl Sagan to declare on international TV that “the cosmos is all that is or ever was or ever will be.”2
Sagan’s materialistic worldview and the Christian worldview can’t both be right. The question is, “does science shed any light on our origins”? So, who are we to believe? That was the question facing seventeen year-old Jeff Smith.
Jeff was confused. At a camp he heard that Jesus Christ offers forgiveness of sins and eternal life. More than that, he discovered that Jesus designed us to have a life of meaning, purpose, and hope. For the first time in his life Jeff felt like he understood why he was here on earth. He wanted forgiveness of sins, and he wanted his life to have meaning and purpose.
But Jeff struggled intellectually. He wanted to believe Jesus is real, but he loved science. He wondered, “Is it possible to believe in both creation and science?”
For Jeff and others who want to believe in both God and science, there is good news. In the past few decades, an increasing number of leading scientists have publicly spoken of stunning new evidence that supports the biblical view of creation. And many of these scientists have no personal faith in God.
So, what is this evidence that has many scientists suddenly speaking of a Creator? To answer those questions we need to look at recent discoveries in astronomy and molecular biology, letting the evidence speak for itself. [For a more in-depth study, read the articles at www.y-Origins.com (http://www.y-origins.com/).]
One Time Beginning

Throughout human history man has gazed in awe at the stars, wondering what they are and how they got there. Although on a clear night we only see about 6,000 stars, trillions of them are spread out among billions of galaxies.
However, prior to the 20th century, most scientists believed our Milky Way galaxy was the entire universe, and that only about 100 million stars existed. The prevailing view even then was that our material universe had always existed.
But in the early 20th century, astronomer Edwin Hubble discovered the universe actually had a beginning. A beginning implies a “Beginner,” which the Bible had firmly revealed. Concerned materialists like Sir Fred Hoyle scoffed at the idea of a one-time beginning, sarcastically calling the explosion a “big bang.”
However, the evidence for a beginning kept mounting. Finally, in 1992, COBE satellite experiments proved that the universe really did have a one-time beginning.

bron - artikel op "science and culture" op die webtuiste www.care2.com

Vriendelike groetnis
Silencio

Stefanus
23rd October 2010, 23:40
Collins, a Christian who led 2400 scientists .... stating that belief in both God and science is totally reasonable.

Although the Bible clearly states that God created the universe, it reveals nothing about how He did it. Yet its message that God is rational and personal profoundly influenced scientists such as Copernicus, Galileo, Newton, Pascal and Faraday. Their belief that the world was created by a reasonable God gave them confidence in scientific observation and experimentation.

in the early 20th century, astronomer Edwin Hubble discovered the universe actually had a beginning. A beginning implies a “Beginner,” which the Bible had firmly revealed.

However, the evidence for a beginning kept mounting. Finally, in 1992, COBE satellite experiments proved that the universe really did have a one-time beginning.

Gen 1:1 In die begin het God die hemel en die aarde geskape.

Ek, Wysheid, is vertroud met die skranderheid, en ek vind kennis van regte oorleg.
Die vrees van die HERE is om te haat wat sleg is; hoogmoed en trotsheid en ‘n slegte wandel en ‘n huigelagtige mond haat ek.
Raad en beleid is myne, ek is die insig, sterkte is myne.
Deur my regeer die konings en stel die maghebbers vas wat reg is; deur my heers die vorste en die edeles, al die regters van die aarde.
Ék het lief die wat my liefhet, en die wat my soek, sal my vind.
Rykdom en eer is by my, duursame goed en geregtigheid.
My vrug is beter as goud en as fyn goud, en my opbrings as uitgesoekte silwer.
Ek wandel op die weg van geregtigheid, in die middel van die paaie van reg, om die wat my liefhet, ‘n besitting te laat erwe, en hulle skatkamers maak ek vol.
Die HERE het my berei as eersteling van sy weg, voor sy werke, van ouds af.
Van ewigheid af is ek geformeer, van die begin af, van die voortyd van die aarde af.
Toe daar nog geen wêreldvloede was nie, is ek gebore; toe fonteine, swaar van water, nog nie daar was nie; voordat die berge ingesink het, voor die heuwels is ek gebore; toe Hy die aarde en die velde en al die stoffies van die wêreld nog nie gemaak het nie.
Toe Hy die hemele berei het, was ek daar; toe Hy ‘n kring afgetrek het op die oppervlakte van die wêreldvloed; toe Hy die wolke daarbo bevestig het, toe die bronne van die wêreldvloed sterk geword het; toe Hy vir die see sy grens gestel het, dat die waters sy bevel nie sou oortree nie; toe Hy die fondamente van die aarde vasgelê het - toe was ek ‘n kunstenaar naas Hom, en ek was dag vir dag vol verlustiging en het gespeel voor sy aangesig altyd, en het gespeel op sy wêreldrond, en my verlustiginge was met die mensekinders.
Luister dan nou na my, seuns; want gelukkig is hulle wat my weë bewaar.
Luister na tug en word wys, en verwerp dit nie.
Gelukkig is die mens wat na my luister, om dag vir dag te waak aan my deure, by die syposte van my poorte die wag te hou.
Want hy wat my vind, het die lewe gevind en verkry ‘n welbehae van die HERE.
Maar hy wat my mis, benadeel sy eie lewe; almal wat my haat, het die dood lief.
Spreuke 8:12-36